• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treadmill first time

wreckless2009

Ex-Bluelighter
about to go on the treadmill for the first time, im 26. suggestions please? how long do i stay on it and at what rate? and how do i carry on for the rest of the week. how often should i do it. please give me everything i need to know. thank u all in advance, i really appreciate it!

I might be mistaken, but I believe that if you do under 20 mins of cardio exercise your heart/lungs get very little out of it. So you should aim to do at least 20 minutes, preferably 30.

Only do under 20 mins if you're using it as a warm up before weights, say if you just do 10 mins to get your blood pumping.

That said, if you're not used to running you could start off with a fat-burning run (50-60% max effort), as opposed to a cardiovascular run (70%+ max effort).

I might be mistaken, but I believe that if you do under 20 mins of cardio exercise your heart/lungs get very little out of it. So you should aim to do at least 20 minutes, preferably 30.

Only do under 20 mins if you're using it as a warm up before weights, say if you just do 10 mins to get your blood pumping.

That said, if you're not used to running you could start off with a fat-burning run (50-60% max effort), as opposed to a cardiovascular run (70%+ max effort).

i dont understand what your talking about "max effort"???? and its my first time i wont last running a full 20 mins on the machine?????

First time, just take it easy of course. Start with a brisk walk to get the feel of the machine (it can be a little weird at first). Then after about 7-10 minutes of walking increase the speed to a slow jog, and see how you feel. Have you done any running OFF a treadmill? Or is this your first time running at all? If so, 5-7 minutes of jogging should be a good start, you might be a bit sore the next day depending on your overall fitness and muscle condition.

You should aim to increase the total running time AND the running speed gradually, as a rough guide increase the running time by 2-3 minutes each time you use the treadmill, and increase the speed as you feel comfortable (it's hard to recommend anything for this because I don't know your fitness level). When you feel comfortable with the machine and the movement of running on it, you can start to play around with the "incline" as well. Obviously the higher the incline, the more intensely you have to use your muscles, i.e. the harder the workout.

Please, make sure you stretch before and after running, EVERY TIME. This is really important to help prevent injuries. It's also advisable to warm up (i.e. walk) before you run, to help prime your muscles for running, and to further aide in the prevention of injury. I always walk after running to "cool down" as well, again, to help prevent injury and muscle fatigue.

Basically, listen to your body and take it as intensely as you feel you can handle. But don't be afraid to push your limits every now and then, this will help to increase your fitness and stamina even moreso.

Oh, and lastly, for a treadmill beginner, please make sure you have the safety clip attached to you in case you trip/fall/whatever, and you need to get the belt to stop moving in an emergency. Not to scare you or anything, but it does happen.

Enjoy!! =D

First time, just take it easy of course. Start with a brisk walk to get the feel of the machine (it can be a little weird at first). Then after about 7-10 minutes of walking increase the speed to a slow jog, and see how you feel. Have you done any running OFF a treadmill? Or is this your first time running at all? If so, 5-7 minutes of jogging should be a good start, you might be a bit sore the next day depending on your overall fitness and muscle condition.

You should aim to increase the total running time AND the running speed gradually, as a rough guide increase the running time by 2-3 minutes each time you use the treadmill, and increase the speed as you feel comfortable (it's hard to recommend anything for this because I don't know your fitness level). When you feel comfortable with the machine and the movement of running on it, you can start to play around with the "incline" as well. Obviously the higher the incline, the more intensely you have to use your muscles, i.e. the harder the workout.

Please, make sure you stretch before and after running, EVERY TIME. This is really important to help prevent injuries. It's also advisable to warm up (i.e. walk) before you run, to help prime your muscles for running, and to further aide in the prevention of injury. I always walk after running to "cool down" as well, again, to help prevent injury and muscle fatigue.

Basically, listen to your body and take it as intensely as you feel you can handle. But don't be afraid to push your limits every now and then, this will help to increase your fitness and stamina even moreso.

Oh, and lastly, for a treadmill beginner, please make sure you have the safety clip attached to you in case you trip/fall/whatever, and you need to get the belt to stop moving in an emergency. Not to scare you or anything, but it does happen.

Enjoy!! =D

your the bomb awesome advice! how do i stretch do u got a video clip i can see?

speed 5mph at 0 incline for 20 minutes. :D

thats what i do after weights. ^^

your the bomb awesome advice! how do i stretch do u got a video clip i can see?

You can just search it on youtube dude :)
Do hamstrings, calves, quads, and don't forget your arms because you use them when running too.

I know this is late, but I run 40 minutes, averaging 3.5 miles at 4.5 - 7.6 mph. then workout with weights.